Monday, October 17, 2011

I've had better summers.

Better in the garden anyway. We had a lot of pollination issues this year and it turns out that sort of thing is pretty important. The best we can figure is we don't have enough bees in the area. I'm going to blame it on the fact that we're in a business park. If I were a bee I'd certainly find another place to do my thing.

Unfortunately I didn't figure out the bee thing until pretty late in the season. So a lot of stuff never came to pass. The cucumbers and squash didn't amount to squat and I only had one monster zucchini. We did have quite a few tomatoes, although I thought there would be more.


I was able to scrape together a pretty sweet pumpkin. And when I say scrape I mean it literally. It turns out when there are no bees around to do their bee thing, you have to do it yourself. I did a little research and figured out that pollinating is nothing more than rubbing flowers together.

I'll leave it at that...

As I said, I figured all this out a bit late and only ended up with two. I'm having a drawing at the office for the big one and keeping the other one for my troubles. Breaks my heart, I could have had a dozen of these beauties had I started earlier. Next year I suppose.

Oh well, live and learn, and on to winter.

1 comment: